If you saw my earlier blog posting about Sam Chu Lin (who just passed away last Sunday), you saw that one of the articles that he wrote on was about a Bay Area artist who collected Chinese menus and had an photo exhibit on Chinese Restaurants in Mississippi. I was intrigued since my family also owns a Chinese Restaurant in Mississippi. So I email Ms Som yesterday and she was kind enough to reply. Here's a photo of Indigo Som that I found on the internet.

She was curious about my family's business and asked if I was going to be in the Bay area any time soon (doubtful) but I did send some photos of Ho Sai Gai Restaurant. If you ever saw that movie, "Mississippi Masala" ... my folks' restaurant is featured in an external shot and my Dad is an extra in one of the scenes (well, his toro is featured). Here's a photo of my Dad's place from a DVD screencap.

-DB-
No comments:
Post a Comment