Saturday, March 18, 2006

Back Home in the Delta

I'm back in Mississippi this weekend. My flight was surprising good and mostly trouble free. I've never used Continential Airlines before but I found their staff to be very friendly, helpful and professional. Also, I found Houston's George Bush Airport to be huge compared to LAX (okay okay, Texas Sized, Peylin) but well designed especially with the connecting Tramways between terminals. I was also surprised to find that Continential Airlines still served meals inflight.



Thanks again to Carey for giving me a ride so early to LAX on Friday (5:00am) , I got to LAX in about 20 minutes or so and for a change; check in and TSA security was a breeze comparied to my previously flight in December.



Airport cafes/fast food places are still are joke and $$$. At LAX, I had a sit down breakfast at Ruby's Dinette for a breakfast burrito. I figured the BB would be loaded with everything including meat since the menu listed it at $7.99, then the waitress asked me if I wanted "BACON" with my burrito for an extra 1.19 or was that 1.99? I almost left, but I settled for my "MEATLESS" burrito and a moment of preflight reflection. Actually, the burrito was pretty good and I guess even appropriate if I was Catholic and was observing Lent on Friday (this was Thursday).


Flight to Houston was on time and smooth. Imagine my surprise when I got served a 2nd breakfast during cabin service. I was feeling like a "Hobbit" with my 2nd breakfast. The on board movie (another surprise) was "Chicken Little" which I chose not to watch nor purchase the keeper headsets for $5.00.



Got into Houston Bush Airport alittle earlier and had time to shop for Rockets (NBA) / Texans (NFL) sport calendars. Unfortunately, none of the airport shops had these local team calendars in stock. Settled for a preflight lunch since it was now 1pm CST (11am back in LA). Got ripped off at the local BBQ place for $9.00 plate of chopped BBQ, baked beans, and green beans.



Flight to Memphis was delayed for about 1/2 hour but once we were in the air, we got there in about an hour and 10 minutes or so.

Met my youngest brother for the two hour drive down to Greenwood. This was his 2nd round trip to the Memphis airport that day. He had to drop off our Uncle Mike from LA at 7am that morning and then run home for a job interview and then come back up to get me (125 miles each way). On the way home, I got a quick update on Mom's health situation and what a great job my bro' did to save Mom's life when minutes counted. I'm not so sure I would have had the same sense of presences to act the same way as he did. Homer, you're awesome!

Got back to Greenwood at 7:00 pm, saw the rest of the family at the restaurant for dinner. Went to the hospital to see Mom. She seem better than when I spoke to her a few days earlier.



Finally got to bed at 11:30 pm local time (9:30 LA time).

A very long day!

-DB-

No comments: